Monday, May 08, 2006

210km to go

hi from the road once again. I havent been able to call home for a few days so am checking my emails in a bar on the road to Villafranca de Bierzo and have a few minutes for a quick update.

Feeling great at the moment. still getting blisters but thanksfully they don´t hurt anymore and no longer have to pierce them everynight. Tomorrow i will have been walking for 4 weeks - can you believe it!!!! Strange, sometimes thay seems much longer but then again the first week seems 20 years ago.

Met and walked with many people and many we keep running into at each stop. Was in a cafe this morning and it was like a reunion of old friends as different people wandered in for breakfast. Its like a very supportive wandering community who all look out for each other. Not sure if Ive mentioned Ernest from Amsterdam before - but he started from him front door 3 1/2 months ago and is a real character. Well he was feeling bad the other day and checked into a hotel and when someone he had met didnt see him fro breakfast he alerted the staff and they found him in a diabetic coma and had him taken to hospital!! He is ok and I saw him walking again the other day - a real fighter.


Passed over the highest point in the walk yesterday and LOVED being back in the mountains after the flat lands for the past week. We walked through the clouds and it was very eerie and beautiful. Came down about 1000 meters in the afternoon and covered 34 km. Had loads of energy after that and felt great.

Tomorrow we pss over another hill called O´Cebreiro and looking forward to that challenge. The next day we enter Galicia, a region with very strong Celtic origins and lots of rain. Think I have dealt better with my rain issues and cant wait for the new scenery.

Hope all are well and more soon
kel

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're in good spirits Kel. Missing you heaps but as always am loving that I can feel like I am walking alonogside you on your adventure.

Love Bee

PS I vote for you working with the crazy Greekos in Greece..say hi to them for me!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a great walk. I walked the Camino Frances from Somport in the summer of 2000, and happily remember my own experiences as I read about yours. The walk to Fisterra will be fantastic; you'll have a chance to decompress from the pilgrim's life before your next journey. Ah to be in Galicia in the spring! Gallego food and wine is great, especially the seafood. Enjoy, Pilgrim,enjoy'

Anonymous said...

It will be sad when you finish Kel. What will I read? Any chance you could turn around a walk back again??

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe - what a nice surprise that someone I dont know is actually reading this! Im having such a great time. Im trying to find things to write about that are not to my liking and cant think of any! what a great ride!!
Gracios Peregrino!
Kellie

Anonymous said...

hey daz - you can keep reading all you like. Ill keep this going when the walk is over as it will always be with me. you never know - i may keep walking - its great fun

kel