Monday, May 22, 2006

end of the world as we know it

what an adventure the last few days have been.

the minute I logged off from my last post I decided to catch the bus to the next town. I t seemed rediculous to walk in the rain when I have the start of a cold, a stomach bug and little sleep....... Then while I was waiting I felt that this was an opportunity to channel my Japanese amigo, so packed my bag, put on my waterproof gear and headed out with a final "buen camino" to those waiting for teh bus.

I was wet within a few minutes but my body stayed warm and I let my wind wander and the km´s went by. My body felt ok - if weary - and after a few hours, I stopped for breakfast /lunch and saw the only other person I would talk to that day. After 30 mins I walked on and felt amazingly peaceful. I didnt "marcg" once and kept a calm and even pace - not very fast but effective enough. I took one more stop in another 2 hours for a hot chocolate and kitkat then kicked on. I started the countdown with 10km to go and found it passed quite quickly. Whenever I felt anxious the time would drag and it reminded me of the earlier lesson of mind over matter - when happy , the km´s flew by!

I finally dragged my legs into town and had a welcome shower. Finally found my comrades in the bar (of course) and I received a cheer and pat on the back for my efforts. Some had assumed that I had caught the bus or bailed out and the one I have spent the most time with said "no, Kel´s tough - she´ll stick with it"

We had a great night - the hospitalero cooked us soup that we all shared then sat around singing songs with some German´´s, French and English. Wonderful atmosphere and felt elated from surviving the day that could have been so difficult had I let it.

The next day we woke to pouring rain and whipping, gusty wind. I didnt feel ready to tackle this day alone and stuck with teh others but my mind wass et in the right place and it didnt get to me. About 20 minutes into the walk the wind was so fierce that the waterprrof cover on Mark´s bag blew off and flew into the brambles. I leapt in after it and landed in a hole full of water . Our shoes had pools of water and we were tilted into the wind to move ahead. Soon we were all in histerical laughter at how ridiculous this was! What are we doing this for??? After a long lunch where we rung out out socks and soaked up as much water from our shoes as we could we started out and the sun eventually broke through and we were able to dry a little.

In the afternoon I was aware that I felt completely peaceful. Despite what was external to me, I felt a complete peace inside. It didnt come from the sun, or the flowers or the birds - but was just there. I don´t ever recall this feeling before and it was so beautiful to meet it! what a great gift from this long long road!

The hospitaleros in the next town were really gorgeous - they had met 2 weeks prior on thier camino and while from different continents, were spending their final days together before going home to their "other" lives. THey gave me a hug goodbye after a lovely chat and wished me well. They had found some peace too - you could see it in their eyes.

Today I arrived at Finisterre - the end of the world and after 40 days of walking. When we made it to the beach a few of us stripped down to shorts and t-shirts and leapt in to the cold Atlantic. Im not a big fan of cold water but it was invigorating and cleansing and perfect. Walking alone the beach with our boots hanging from our packs and our bare feet in the sand was such a fitting end to this walk.

We shared a seafood lunch and tonight will walk to the Cape to watch the sunset and leave behind the shells and items that we carried with us from home. It is also traditional to burn something that you have carried. I have thrown out the things that I didnt want anymore but bought some insense to burn when I reflect on all that has been and all that will come.

So this is the end and the begining - what a strange and exciting place to be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kel your last post brought tears to my eyes. I am so proud of you and so happy to hear you have discovered all those wonderful things you mentioned. Love always Mum

Shazmina Bendi said...

ok, Kel as you can see from my last post that I had a few tears, now reading your Mum's comments I have even more!!! (Love Carmen, she is great!)

You are amazing, I am really looking forward to seeing you again and spending time hearing about your adventures, & looking at all your photos. Dont know if I can wait until you get back here!

Take it easy, look after you!

Shazmina

ps YOU ROCK!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! i am soooo in awe of what you have accomplished Kel....it is just amazing to think that a few short months ago you were sitting among us and now you have shown just what there is to be experienced in this world! I have had various barriers to overcome in catching up with your tales, so reading of your adventures in one hit tonight has brought home to me just how intense and powerful this adventure has been. Not that it's over yet...i very much look forward to catching the next instalment and soaking up more inspiration - Canada here i come!! Lots of love, Ness

Anonymous said...

Hi Kel,
Im so very proud of you and so pleased that you had a good time. Cant wait to hear about the next phase of your BIG adventure!!

Love Katie

PS No baby yet...now 3 days overdue. Guess she'll come when she is ready!!

Anonymous said...

OK - good on ya for making us all cry...... :)DOG!

Kel - this blog is just AMAZING.. you truely have captured the journey and experiences you have gone thry!! again - thank you for letting me experience this journey with you. YOUR AMAZING and a inspiration to us all - and don't ever forget that!

See ya in 4 weeks.... :)
Jo
xx

Anonymous said...

Kel, like Carmen and everyone else reading along on your amazing journey, I am so proud of you. Congratulations, one journey over and another just begnning!

Lots of Love Bee xxx

Anonymous said...

Kells, great to share your journey! You are a very talented lady, don't forget that and don't underplay it. You let us all peek into your own personal journey and in such a beautiful way. Thanks. Take care on the rest of your adventure.. Love, Cousin Jo xx