Thursday, April 20, 2006

Its the 20th and I cant seem to figure out if it is Thursday or Friday!!  It doesnt really matter much out here.
 
Today was a great day and thought I should share it a little.
 
I have taken it easy the last few days with two shorter walks (18km and 9.5 km) so felt rested and the feet are recovering.  I met a lovely girl last night and she said some things to me that made sense.
 
She walked the Camino 4 years ago and is walking for 2 weeks now as a bit of therapy after a relationship breakup. I was telling her that I find the pressure to walk fast and keep up with the passing crowd annoying and I dont want to feel pressured by it.  My plan was always to find my own rhythm and take my time.  When you meet great people there is also pressure because you want to keep up with them and enjoy their company for longer.  I now have a group of people that I know one day and two days ahead of me and I need to learn to let them go and walk my own camino.
 
She said that reaching Santiago last time was great but she really felt that she got there too soon........ and there is no need to rush because this is a time to savour.  Im glad we had that chat because it reminded me to take my time and to stop "marching".
 
Last Monday - the day of horrors - in the rain, I saw a Japanese man and he amazed me.  We were all in ponchos or rain jackets with our heads down and we wrere all powering to Los Arcos and a place out of the rain.  He was walking very slowly and carried an umbrella and I saw him almost tip toeing around the puddles and seemed completely serene.
 
While walking I thought he was mad and kept striding on.  He arrived into Los Arcos only a short time after me, which was amazing b/c he appeared to be so slow.  Next I saw him lying on his bunk and softly singing to himself.  He was very calm and seemed very relaxed while I felt shattered.
 
I thought about him this morning and decided to try to find some of that serenity today.  I left Logroño and walked easily to Naverette and had an early lunch.  A little boy and girl came past and the boy gave me a flower he had picked and kissed me on the cheek!  Very cute.  I planned to stop after 20km and sleep in a small town for the night but I felt so good when i got there that I decided to go on and ended up walking 30km! the longest day so far and at the end I felt great.
 
At no stage did I rush and I felt calm and relaxed all day.  What a difference. 
 
The Camino is a great teacher and I seem to meet alñl the right people at all the right times.  My japanese amigo doesnt even know that he helped me but I have a new plan - keep the peace inside.
 
Ive still got 6 blisters on each foot but thankfully the treatment is kind of fun! Ill try to get a photo as its a little gruesome to explain - involves needle and  thread and looks likt Im sewing myself together ;)
 
Apparently a storm is coming tonight so I may get to test my serenity in the rain tomorrow
 
Adios for now
 
Kellie


New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kel - you are sounding more on top of things now ... which will relieve your mother.

Yep, slow and steady wins the race. I remember a tough climb in Colarado where I collapsed after about 100 steps. Was going to turn back but after a 20min rest pushed on and just focused on a real steady slow pace, always conscious of not burning energy unecessarily. Made it to the top and have used the same technique on a few climbs since then.

I think you are right - marching will just burn you out.

Sounds like you are having a great time.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing sitting back here and following day by day in your "footsteps", though we do happen to miss out on the blisters!! You are doing a magnificent job of keeping your "diary" and sharing it with all of us. One step at a time, one day at a time, steady steady goes the journey. Regards, Lyn Hill

Emma said...

great to hear you sounding so upbeat Kell- you can't put into words, I am sure, all that you are learning on this walk. Makes me want to go out and do something similar. Maybe one day I will!