Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Pilgrims Progress

Hola all

Wow - this walk is going much quicker than I expected! I am almost halfway already and it feels like it has only just begun.

The stats to date:
27.0 St Jean Pied de Port - Roncesvalles
20.5 Roncesvalles - Zubiri
21.5 Zubiri - Pamplona
4.7 Pamplona - Cizor Minor
18.8 Cizor Minor - Puenta la Reina
22.0 Puenta la Reina - Estella
21.8 Estelle - Los Arcos
18.6 Los Arcos - Viana
9.4 Viana - Logroño
29.0 Logroño - Najera
21.0 Najera - Santo Domingo
22.9 Santo Domingo - Belorado
27.7 Belorado - Ages
23.3 Ages - Burgos
18.8 Burgos - Hornillos de Camino
20.3 Hornillos de Camino - Castrojeriz

TOTAL WALKED - 328.5km
KMs to Santiago - 456km

Now, if you use a calculator and find that these figures do not add up, dont be surprised. It seems that every source possible varies on the distances between these towns and the total distance from SJPP to SdC. You would think after thousands of years they would agree on that at least, but still...... the most important thing is getting to the end of each day! The rest is only for a bit of perspective.

Body check - the earler blisters have hardened into callouses (more or less) so they are no longer a problem. The sideof my feet are toughening but still have new blisters to treat each day on the sides and heels. Nothing too dramatic though and quite enjoy the process of draining them (sad but true)

My left knee has been sore the lst two days but hasnt really slowed me. Feels swollen but is fine as long as I dont go down hills or stairs too quickly. Hasnt got me down at all so that is good.

Mind check - feeling fantastic. LOVE the meseta, which I am told translates to "little table" and it is basically a high area that is very flat and occassionally undulating. Actually the hills reminded me alot of the Burren in west Ireland. It is very peaceful and very beautiful and I hope this landscape lasts a few more days. Lot{s of little birds flying around, hundreds of insects and crawlies criss crossing the path we are on, so lots to look at!

Am walking alone and intermittently catch up Marco, so have periodic company. Being alone again is great.

Not sure where I am off to tomorrow and will stick to me plan so far and that is to stop when tired or when a place seems worth visiting. It is a lot less stressful for me to walk this way. No maps = a happy kellie!

Must be off - the pilgrims are tucking into bed (at 9.30!!) and I get dirty looks if I go in after 10 ;)

Buenos noches amigos

2 comments:

Shazmina Bendi said...

Hey my lovely! I cant believe it has taken me over two weeks to read your blog. I have been trying to pretend that you are still in Sydney, but I cant do it any more you really are walking in Spain. I miss you heaps, you are such a wonderful person, and I have felt honoured to read about your adventures on this life changing journey! Well enough of the soppy stuff, Not much to tell from here, same old same old. I plan to start my own blog soon, so you will get to see some of my little adventures. Take care of you, cant wait to see your next update! :) Shazmina

Anonymous said...

Hi Kel
Ive finally managed to read your blog. WOW - what a great experience you are having. Im so very proud of you and so pleased that you were able to work through the not so good times for the sake of the good, and that you've found that time alone can be just as precious and inspirational as time with thousands of others. Im so proud!!!

All is well here. Finally finished work today. Only 3 weeks to go to Miss Sutton arrives. Scary but exciting.

Cant wait to read your next installment.

Lots and lots and lots of love
Katie Mac

PS Craig sends a big thumbs up!!!