Sunday, April 23, 2006

the Km´s fly by

Its amazing that time is going so fast. We have now walked within a day of the next big town and will arrive in Burgos tomorrow afternoon. On Tues we will have walked for 2 weeks and it is getting easier all the time. My body is getting stronger so the km´s pass a little easier. Tomorrow will be a comfortable 20km then will most likely take a rest day or half day to see the city.

I am still travelling with our little band of walkers but I think I need a few days away from the company. It gets to a point with all groups that a "group mentality" kicks in and suddenly we need consensus for every little decision. I have to remind myself that I chose to travel alone so that I wouldnt have to sit outside in a gutter waiting for everyone to agree rather than booking into an albergue when I arrive. I appreciate that everyone has different needs and I would like to be more patient but after 2 weeks I am ready to make my own decisions and not feel that I am letting others down by doing my own thing. We are all on a similart time frame so I know we will meet again - Id rather still enjoy everyones company rather than get tired of the dramas now.

On the up side the scenery is stunning. The endless rolling hills make me want to roll down them all day. There are amazing windmills lining every ridge - the fancy new white ones that are so much a part of the landscape now. Saw a mole crossing our path today which was very cute and passed very close to some unfenced cows and bulls who look like they have watched more "pilgrims" pass than they can count.

Each little town is a postcard as it appears in the valley below - ofetn less attractive when you get in amongst its old delapidated streets. The hospialeros (volunteer albergue managers) have been wonderful - some of them outstanding in their helpfulness. The albergues have been far nicer than I expected - clean and modern, as new facilities open up each year to cope with the increase in walkers. The taller men have trouble with the short beds but ive found it fine ;)

Its anzac day on tues (my favourite aus holiday) so am trying to recruit some 2-up players to join me in a game. Not too optimistic for that but will try to get up for my own little dawn service to keep up part of the tradition.

Ok, best get off to bed - sleep is the best thing after a day of walking - that and a glass of local wine to celebrate another day on the road.

Hope everyone is well is Aus and thinking of your all.

take care

Kellie

3 comments:

Emma said...

way to go Kell- sounds great! Your posts are lovely to read too. I think I too would want time away from groups sometimes. This way you can have a mix of the two.
Look forward to your next update.
Meanwhile, I have just 2 days left of work to go! hooray!

Anonymous said...

Kel,

Here's some Japanese words to pratice before you see your serene Japanese friend again:

Ki-otskeru = take care
gan-batte-ne = good luck/keep it up

And my favourites:
mirukusheeke = milk shake
orenji-joosu = orange juice

Thinking of you!

Love Bee x

Anonymous said...

Hi Kel,

Loved reading about your journey. Yes, I agree you can certainly get cought up with the 'group' and leave behind your original plan of spending time on your own. The group/s will always be there by the sounds of things.Good on you for making a decision based on YOUR needs. Today, Anzac day,your mum and I went to see granny and then stopped off at a pub to have lunch - but no 2up.
Love you.
Diane xx